The Seven Hermetic Principles-The Principle of Mentalism

“The All is Mind, the universe is mental”. This quotation is used to sum up the concept in the Kybalion. It took me several years (and still working in it) to grasp this concept. What does this really mean?

The All that’s referred to in the Kybalion is the single entity (if it can be called an entity ) that creates and governs the material and spiritual universe. The All is considered to be made of purely spirit. The All contains everything that is; matter, spirit, the forces of nature.

The universe and everything in it is said to be a mental creation if the All. The All created the universe as a mental creation, since there are no materials outside of the All with which it could create with.

This concept seems confusing and improbable at first, however, science is gradually leaning toward this idea. Many in the scientific community are now saying that our universe is made up of Consciousness. Consciousness is a product of mind. Without it, would there be a reality? We have seen through scientific experimentation that the observer has an effect on the outcome of an experiment. This is purely a mental phenomenon.  Our understanding of our reality is based solely on the interpretation of our five senses by our minds. Since we interpret our reality through our senses, we are limited by our finite minds. The Kybalion tells us that the All is infinite mind, which a finite mind cannot grasp due to its limitations.

To the All, we are but a dream. To us, the material world is a reality. This idea may seem troubling at first, but think it through and let it sink in. Our minds maybe finite, but remember, we all contain the infinite within and our finite minds are connected to the infinite mind of the All. we are all made up of particles created by the All and are microcosmic representations of the All.

We as a species have not even began to tap into the true potential of our minds. Scientists claim that we only use 10% of our brains power. Imagine if we could unleash the other 90% of that power. If our finite minds have as much power as science says they do, imagine the power of infinite mind!

174503main_image_feature_805_ys_full.35135918_std

Advertisements

The Seven Hermetic Principles or Natural Laws

These are the Seven Hermetic Principles as found in the Kybalion among other texts. They are naturally existing laws of the universe and shape our reality. With the understanding and appreciation of these laws, one can live more harmoniously with themselves and the natural world.

1.) The Principle of Mentalism– This principle states that the universe and everything around us is a mental construct. We are all co-creating our perceptions of the world and everything around us.

2.) The Principle of Correspondence– This principle informs us that the microcosm is a direct reflection of the macrocosm and vice versa. It is from this principle that we derive the saying “as above, so below.” This can be seen all throughout the universe. Microscopic organisms mimic the same shapes and forms of galaxies.

3.) The Principle of Vibration-This principle shows us that everything in the universe is made up of vibratory energy. We are at our essence, vibratory light energy.

4.) The Principle of Polarity-This principle exemplifies the natural duality that exists within nature. Hot and cold, light and dark, good and evil. Without an opposite, these expressions would lose their identity. All opposites are just varying degrees of the same thing.

5.) The Principle of Rhythm– This principle says that all elements in the natural world move in a rhythm. This can be seen in the animal kingdom as well as the cosmos. Everything fluctuates.

6.) The Principle of Cause and Effect– This principle demonstrates that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Everything we do has an effect on something. Once this concept is grasped, we see that what we do really does matter.

7.) The Principle of Gender– This last principle states that everything has masculine and feminine characteristics. We all have rationale (attributed to the masculine) and compassion (attributed to the feminine). A balance of these elements is essential to the completion of the individual. This is true in a physical sense as well in that when we are born, our gender is merely determined by a one chromosome differential.

These principles have been passed on since time-immemorial through various mystery schools and esoteric philosophies. With the ongoing awakening that is taking place all around us, the understanding of these priciples by the individual provides that person with a key to unlocking the doors of their understanding of the mysteries of life. These principles are coming to light again for a reason. Take head and let them guide you on your path.